Ethel was H’s Irish granny. Well, both of his grannies were Irish so that was a wasted sentence. I've long heard of the family "Unity Pie" but never actually had it myself, so I had a go at it. It is delicious! It goes well with baked beans or my preference, steamed potato and asparagus.
1 medium onion (chopped)
1 tbs of olive oil
1 lb mince (ground beef)
1 pkt of minestrone soup (it’s like a sachet of dried soup/seasonings, made by knorr, serves 4)
Pinch of thyme
14 oz of water
250 grams mushrooms (chopped)
1 lb short crust pastry
1 small egg
1. In a large pot, sautee chopped onion in oil. Add minced beef, soup sachet, thyme and cold water. Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 15 minutes until cooked through. LET IT COOL.
2. Line a 9 inch round (2 -3 inches tall) dish with the pastry.
3. Put cooled mixture into pastry lined dish. Top off with chopped mushrooms.
4. Cover top with pastry. Score the top with 4 heat slits.
5. Cover top with pastry and finish with an egg wash.
6. Bake at 200C (180 Cfan/390F) for 30-40 minutes until lovely golden.